The Minister of Justice and Prosecutor General said that the investigation over the Polish Financial Supervision Authority (KNF) is already in progress.
The affair around the Polish Financial Supervision Authority (KNF) continues as accusations against more members have been filed.see more
Zbigniew Ziobro said that while security services have begun their investigation, “original recordings of the taped conversation have not yet been delivered to the prosecutor’s office.”
Mr Ziobro denied that establishing a parliamentary investigative committee is required, contrary to what the opposition demands. He said that “all necessary steps have been promptly taken to launch an extensive investigation.”
The Prosecutor General indicated that he learnt of the so-called KNF affair on Tuesday, November 13. On that day, the case was reported in the “Financial Times” and “Gazeta Wyborcza” dailies that also quoted a recording made by Leszek Czarnecki during the meeting with the KNF head, Marek Chrzanowski. .
Mr Czarnecki, who is the owner of Getin Bank, has accused Mr Chrzanowski of soliciting a bribe of around PLN 40 mln (EUR 9.31 mln) during a meeting in March. In return, the Financial Supervision Authority was to treat Mr Czarnecki’s bank favourably during his planned investments.
Mr Czarnecki’s motion against Mr Chrzanowski was delivered to the prosecutor’s office last week, on November 7.
Since then, more accusations against KNF members have been filed. On Wednesday, Polish anti-corruption agency (CBA) operatives entered the KNF headquarters to secure all the necessary material.