Retro Football League kicks off

Warsaw's "Legia" (L) and Lviv's "Lechia" (R) football clubs. Photo: Wikimedia Commons

History lovers from military re-enactment groups decided to put away their guns and focus on bringing back the old ways of putting the ball in the net.

Retro League is a project that will see historical football teams such as Lviv’s “Lechia”, Vilnius’ “Śmigły”, Grodno’s “WKS”, WKS 37 Kutno and WKS 10 PP Łowicz re-enacted according to not only the football dress code of 1910-1930s but also to that era’s rules of the game.

The first three teams originated from cities which belonged to the Second Polish Republic of 1918-1939, hence the re-enactors’ decision to reconstruct them. While “Lechia” and “Śmigły” were top league teams, the re-enactors did not shrink from reviving the other three which were rather local.

The re-enactors from the Polish towns and cities of Dzierżoniów, Kozienice, Kutno, Łowicz and Warsaw will impersonate the five teams’ members to contend for the champion title during Spring 2019 championships. According to unofficial information acquired by Poland In from re-enactor Jan Dubiel, the games will be played on April 6-7, 2019.

Interestingly, re-enacting referees will not show cards to penalised players because such a praxis was not present in football of the early 20th century.

The initiator of this undertaking is an enthusiast of the central Polish town of Łowicz Piotr Marciniak, who also re-enacts soldiers of the Tenth Infantry Regiment. Mr Marciniak was inspired and moved to action by folders full of documents, blueprints of football shoes and footballs from 1910-1930s. The acquired designs, photos and accounts enabled the recreation of the outfits and accessories.

According to Poland’s private news provider Onet, the group draw took place on November 26 in Warsaw’s Sports and Tourism Museum. On April 6-7, 2019 we will watch four teams playing against one another. Vilnius' WKS “Śmigły” will face WKS Grodno in Warsaw, whereas WKS 10 PP Łowicz will play against Lviv's LKS “Lechia” in Łowicz.

source: