On Sunday, the Iranian Foreign Ministry summoned the charge d'affaires of the Polish Embassy in Tehran to protest against the Middle East conference to be held in Warsaw, which will concentrate on the threat to the region posed by Iranian expansionism.
The conference on security and peace-building in the Middle East will be held on February 13-14. The decision to hold the conference was officially announced on Friday by the US Department of State and the Polish Foreign Ministry.
The Polish charge d'affaires to Iran, Wojciech Unolt, was told that the Polish government's decision to host the conference was considered as "an act of hostility towards Iran." He was also informed that Teheran might decide to implement retaliatory measures, the Iranian state agency IRNA reported.
According to the Iranian agency, the Polish diplomat provided explanations regarding the conference and declared that it does not have an anti-Iranian nature.
On Friday, the Iranian Foreign Minister, Mohammad Javad Zarif criticised Poland for the co-organisation of the conference.
On Sunday, the Iranian Culture Ministry announced that it had suspended a Polish film festival, planned for late January in Tehran, until Poland's authorities “reflect upon their recent actions and show proper behaviour towards Iran.”
Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki announced on Friday that "Poland considers the Middle-East peace issue as one of the most important challenges for foreign and defence policy, and halting military conflicts in this region is a fundamental issue for ensuring global stability and peace.”
Foreign Minister Jacek Czaputowicz expressed his hope that the Middle East conference would make it possible to build a lasting platform for dialogue and would bring the US and EU positions on Iran closer.
He also said that invitations to the conference had been sent out to more than 70 countries, including all the EU members, and EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini.