Football: Lechia Gdańsk wins Polish Cup

Jagiellonia Białystok and Lechia Gdańsk clashed in the final of the Polish Football Cup that took place on Thursday at PGE Narodowy stadium in Warsaw.

Lechia Gdańsk, which is currently in the second position of the Polish LOTTO Ekstraklasa, the highest tier of the football championships in Poland, made it to the final after defeating Raków Częstochowa, the leader of Fortuna 1 Liga, the second league leader. Meanwhile Jagiellonia, currently in fourth position in Ekstraklasa, beat Miedź Legnica, the 12th team in the highest league.

Lechia fans had trouble getting into the venue for the game. Christopher Lash, an English blogger writing about Polish football, who went to see the game with fans from Gdańsk, reported thirty minutes before the match that the police had closed one of the entrances.

Journalists and supporters posted many photographs on social media, showing crowds of supporters standing in long queues. “It is possible that Lechia Gdańsk fans will make it to next year’s final of the Polish Cup,” journalist Leszek Milewski tweeted ironically

The Polish Football Association (PZPN) made a statement saying that fans of Lechia Gdańsk could enter the stadium from 9:30 am. “Only a small group of them did. The larger part of their supporters gathered at the main gate... An hour before the match the crowd started storming gate number 10 trying to bring pyrotechnic materials into the stadium area,” the statement reads.

The match commenced at 4 pm local time. In the first half, there were no goals, but Jagiellonia was the side that had the most opportunities to put the ball in the net.

During the first part of the game, Jagiellonia fans presented a choreography with a mad bee.

At the beginning of the second half, the majority of Lechia’s fans were finally at the stands and started cheering for their team. They also presented their choreography, with a slogan “we create history 1983-2019.” In 1983, Lechia was the winner of the Polish Cup. The match was tighter in the second half, Lechia performed better but still, there were no goals scored for a long time.

Jagiellonia supporters presented another choreography in the second half with the slogan “Football unites us,” which refers to the same slogan of PZPN. They also lit some flares. Soon after that, fans from Gdańsk presented their second choreography, also with pyrotechnic materials lit.

In the 86th minute, the ball went into the net after Lechia's Portuguese striker, Flávio Paixão, took advantage of the chaos in Jagiellonia’s penalty box. However, after checking the replay by Video Assistant Referee (VAR), the referee Bartosz Frankowski disallowed the goal because it was offside.

But several minutes later, in the additional time of the second half, Lechia scored the winning goal. Paixão centred the ball into the box and striker Artur Sobiech outran the defenders and put the ball in the net.

Lechia won the game and the second Polish Cup in their history. Fans of the club from Gdańsk presented a large flag saying “Lechia Pany” (“Lechia rulers”).

Jagiellonia Białystok – Lechia Gdańsk 0:1 (90+6’ Sobiech)

Jagiellonia: Marian Kelemen – Böðvar Böðvarsson, Zoran Aresnić, Ivan Runje, Andrej Kadlec – Taras Romańczuk (c), Jesús Imaz, Marko Poletanović (90’ Bartosz Kwiecień) – Guilherme, Patryk Klimala, Arvydas Novikovas

Coach: Ireneusz Mamrot

Lechia: Zlatan Alomerović – Filip Mladenović, Michał Nalepa, Błażej Augustyn, João Nunes – Jarosław Kubicki, Daniel Łukasik (90+1’ Steven Vitória), Tomasz Makowski – Lukáš Haraslín (90+8’ Patryk Lipski), Flávio Paixão (c), Konrad Michalak (68’ Artur Sobiech)

Coach: Piotr Stokowiec

Venue: PGE Narodowy, Warsaw