Pole who tackled London Bridge terrorist released from hospital: report

Łukasz, the Pole who helped take on a terrorist on London Bridge on Friday, was released from hospital, the British newspaper “Daily Mail” reported.

Pole used narwhal tusk to combat London Bridge attacker

During Friday’s terrorist attack in London, a Pole, Łukasz, grabbed a Narwhal tusk from his workplace at Fishmongers’ Hall, where the attack had...

see more

The newspaper stated that Polish diplomats are in contact with the British police and the full identity of the Pole has not been revealed for security reasons.

He was admitted to hospital after being stabbed five times by the attacker, whilst he tried to stop him.

“Daily Mail” reports that the Polish authorities plan to honour the Polish hero with a medal for “risking his own life and helping overpower the terrorist.”

Usman Khan, the assailant, had been attending a conference on prisoner rehabilitation at Fishmongers' Hall. He had been convicted of terrorism offences in 2012 but released from prison on licence in December 2018 and was wearing a tag.

He entered the conference, threatened to blow up the hall with an explosive vest which turned out to be a decoy. Then he started to stab people. Mr Khan killed Jack Merritt, a 25-year old Cambridge University employee and Saskia Jones, a 23-year old volunteer.

Łukasz took the five-foot-long narwhal tusk, which was hanging on the wall of Fishmongers' Hall, where the conference took place and ran at the attacker, even though he had been stabbed in the hand.

Polish PM and Queen Elizabeth thank Pole that stopped terrorist in London

see more

“He [Łukasz] was washing dishes in the basement [of the hall] and heard screaming. He is trained in first aid, so he voluntarily goes upstairs… The terrorist was waving knives while people were screaming. [Łukasz] took the narwhal tusk from the wall and entered combat… He bought time so that others could flee,” Toby Williamson, the manager of Fishmongers' Hall told Sky News.

“He tried to hit the terrorist and realised that something is wrong because the tusk bounced off [Khan’s] chest… Łukasz was badly hurt on his arm and hand but does not surrender. Two or three people join him, so the assailant fled. Łukasz followed him even though he was hurt and lost power in his left hand,” Mr Williamson reported.

Another man tried to tackle the terrorist with a fire extinguisher. Finally, Mr Khan was shot dead by a police officer.

Britain’s highest authorities, including Queen Elizabeth II, PM Boris Johnson and Mayor of London Sadiq Khan praised the brave deed of Pole and others who tried to stop the assailant.

The organisation of the Islamic State (ISIS) claimed responsibility for Friday’s attack. They announced that it was conducted by one of its combatants