The palace in Kamieniec Ząbkowicki in Lower Silesia, south-western Poland, was constructed in the 19th century on the initiative of Princess Marianne of the Netherlands, known for her activism for the region ruled at that time by Prussia.
Located on Zamkowa (Castle) mountain near the town of Wleń in Lower Silesia, southwestern Poland, Castle Lenno, also known as Wleński Gródek,...see more
The design of the palace was inspired by the Teutonic Castle in Malbork, northern Poland. Constructed in 1857, the palace has a usable area of 20,000 square metres. The palace is surrounded by terraced gardens and a park.
During WWII the Nazi Germans used it for storing pieces of art looted from the whole area of Silesia. In 1946 the building burnt down after arson by Soviet soldiers. Some of its marbles, however, were used during the construction of Warsaw’s Palace of Science and Culture.
In 1984, the palace was leased to a private entrepreneur, who worked on reconstructing it until he died in 2010. Two years later, the local authorities took over it and continued the renovation.
Princess Marianne of the Netherlands is known for many investments in the region. Apart from the palace, she funded a network of local mountain roads, a smelter, foundry and marble quarry. Those who worked for her remember her as the “Good Lady” and she was commemorated by some local place names.
Kamieniec Ząbkowicki is located around 80km to the south of Wrocław which is about 1.5 hours drive on the S8 motorway.